Beauty: All of August's Beauty Boxes in one post!

19:00:00

Given that I'm ever so behind in blogging, today you're getting my round up of all the beauty boxes I received in August! So expect this to be a long post with a lot of pictures. Its not like anyone uses dial up anymore, thank goodness.

First up way back at the beginning of the month was a Latest in Beauty You Magazine collaboration box. The 'In Flight' Box. This box had lots of goodies in it considered useful for those off on holiday. Ahhh, holidays.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket






The box contained:

  • A tin of Barkleys Cinnamon mints. So useful for that post travelling funk mouth we all get. Have to admit, I haven't plucked up the courage to try these yet, haha. Cinnamon I only like in small quantities...might try these on my other half first.
  • Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist - this is so nice and refreshing when you spray it on your face. I tried a couple of sprays worth but I'm saving it for my upcoming holiday!
  • Garnier BB cream - three sample sachets. I've tried this once before and I didn't love it, so I tried another sachet and, well, I still dont love it. But then I did find my favourite high street BB cream in Maybelline so nothing's really lost. I'll pop the other sachets into a giveaway box I've been gradually building up.
  • Stri-VectinSH Age Protect SPF30 - I have very fair, pale, Scottish skin. Although said skin is cov ered in freckles, I still have to be very careful in the sun and I use factor 30 in the UK (don't laugh!). So I'm always happy to receive SPF30. This also came with a wrist band which changes colour when you're exposed to UVB, very helpful.
  • Batiste Dry Shampoo in Cherry - I have quite a few of these handbag sized cans now and I'm grateful. At the moment I'm fighting a losing battle with my hair, brought on by the mad heat we've had and my recent foray into exercise, which makes me sweaty, which makes my roots look greasy really quickly. I also plan on getting my fringe cut back in soon, and I use dry shampoo to help keep it tamed and in place.
  • Xen-Tan Dark lotion - I've been a bit scared to use this as it's 'Dark'. And I am, well, super pale! But according to the blurb that came with the box, it can be mixed with moisturiser, which might be a better bet for me. That being said, I find it really hard to get tan to take on my legs, so maybe dark is the way forward there?
  • OPI Nail Polish in William Tell Me About OPI - Apparently, this isn't the nail polish I should have received, it should have been one of two limited edition Muppets colours. To be honest, I don't really mind. I remember thinking I REALLY didn't want to get one of the polish colours, and I'm very happy with this deep purple colour. And I love the name.
  • Acqua D'Alfresco Insect repellant - unfortunately my holiday this year wont be to sunny climes where bugs will be a problem. But there's always next year! Otherwise I'll use it against the dreaded Scottish midge when I go home :)
  • Urban Acai Powder Sachet - Acai is one of those superfoods, I do believe. I'd probably not drink this while on holiday but as part of a build-up detox!
  • L'Oreal Mythic Oil - I'm a big fan of hair oils and use various different ones, so I'm pleased to get to sample this one too.
  • Good to Go Anywhere wipes - fab for popping into a handbag. I've been doing a lot of travel in and out of London and always feel so grimy on the tube! This will certainly help.
As ever, a great box from Latest in Beauty.

Second in the month for me was GlossyBox. My box gets sent to my in-laws house, as the postman over there is better at hiding packages/handing them in to neighbours than mine is down here. So I always end up seeing other people's spoilers before I get my box. Unfortunately, this month, I wasn't terribly excited. The theme was International Superstars, which could have been amazing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I received:
  • All for Eve- Eve's Balm - I have no idea where this is from, actually, and it didn't say on my card either. Anyway, its a multi-purpose balm. I do like a good balm in the wintertime.
  • DHC Deep Cleansing Oil - I love oil cleansers and am a big fan of the Oil Cleansing Method, which I've always meant to blog about. This one has mixed reviews but as I know my skin gets on well with oil cleansers, I'm excited to try it.
  • Lipcote original lip sealer - I've never tried this before but always meant to pick some up, so that has saved me the trouble. I have heard it makes your lips sting though, which puts me off a lot!
  • Pro-White Original whitening nail varnish - I learned in a chemistry lecture at school from a guest emeritus professor of chemistry about how specks of blue makes things look whiter and brighter and how, before the days of optical whiteners, blue powder called Rickett's Blue was rubbed into white clothes to make them look whiter (in fact, people who used to keep birds and show them at shows would rub it into their white chests, apparently. I dont condone rubbing a bird with blue powder, though). Fun science facts! I must surely have carried that nugget of knowledge around with me for 10 years, waiting for the day when I could explain to people why this polish has a blue tint to it! Its there to combat the yellowing effect using lots of nail polish has on the nails. I struggle with this a lot so I'm really pleased to have this. And as its German, I'm hoping when I go to Europe in 3 weeks I can pick a full sized one up!
  • THAT eyeshadow palette. To be honest, there's no point even naming it. Its pretty vile. You can buy better eyeshadows in the pound shops, the sponge applicator is the worst I've ever seen (I know they're all bad, but this is EXTRA BAD) and the shadows basically have no pigment in them. One for the bin.
  • Glossybox lipstick. This is a nice colour, looks like it'll suit most colourings and would be good for every day wear. Here's a swatch:
Photobucket


All in all, I really wasn't that impressed with the box. I hope next month's is better. We'll see.

Next up was the Selfridges beauty box. I don't know that I've ever worked harder to buy something in my entire life. I meant to get up early to buy it online, but slept in. Then I figured they were all sold out and I'd missed my chance. Then Selfridges announced the release of more via twitter. The the site went into meltdown. I must have spent an entire hour trying to buy it. Im not the most patient of person, but I somehow managed to not throw the mother of all hissy fits and finally, it was mine!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


To be honest with you, Selfridges single handedly raised the bar with their offering, which I presume is a happy little one off, but still. No tiny perfume vial! Amazing products! Amazing value! None of that sizzle stuff in the box! The box contains:

  • Antipodes Organic Avocado & Rosehip Divine Facial Oil - Anything with the word divine in attracts my attention! And I love facial oils, as I have documented well in this little blog.
  • Bio Effect EGF Serum - I've heard a lot about Bio Effect and I'm excited to try this. Second to my love of oils is serums!
  • Aesop Parsley Seed Anti-Oxidant Serum - I've been wanting to try out Aesop for ages and ages and now I can. Thanks, Selfridges!
  • Estelle & Third Lip Balm - I like to have a lip balm in every handbag becase I'm forever licking and biting my lips.
  • Philip B Katira Hair Masque - My hair seems to be permanently split at the ends, so all hair masques are good for me
  • Stila One Step Correct - Known as a 'Fashion Week Favourite' this primer looks amazing in the tube, can't wait to try it out.
  • Omorovicza Deep Cleansing Mask - perfect for pamper days.
I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to get this and receive it (I got called to a meeting the day of delivery, so sulked all day, then came home to find it had been delivered to a neighbour, so I danced for joy, but they were out, so I sulked a bit more. Then the neighbour dropped it off in the morning and I was happy once more!). I wouldn't like to tell you how many people I bored with tales of this box, of the ordering process, the waiting process, the delivery, etc. Excellent. I loved this box.

The final box I received this month came only today, which was good timing for this post! Back to my old friends at the lovely Latest in Beauty. They've launched the Collections boxes which means even more boxes even more frequently. My bank manager isn't happy, but I'm delighted! The first one was an Editor's Picks box, with Aveda products in it. I've never tried Aveda but I always hear good things.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The box contains:

  • Smoothing Body polish - this smells really nice!
  • Sun Care Hair and Body Cleanser - excellent for a beach holiday methinks
  • Caribbean Therapy Body Scrub - there's something about body scrubs that screams pamper session to me, probably because of how I feel after using them. Hooray!
  • Damage Remedy Shampoo, conditioner treatment and daily hair repair. Amazing! I have very dry brittle ends on my hair, and no amount of cutting seems to be helping at the moment!
  • Caribbean Therapy Body Cleanser - unfortunately, this wasn't in my box. But Latest in Beauty being as wonderful as they are, within minutes of me e-mailing, they said they'd pop it in the post for me. Hooray!
Besides the Sun Care product, which I'm going to save in the hope of a winter sun holiday next year, the rest are being set aside for a few upcoming pamper sessions. Amazing.

So, those were my beauty boxes this month. The GlossyBox was a bit disappointing and I could have lived without it, but the others more than made up for it. Im already excited at the prospect of next month's boxes!

Did you get any of these? Have you tried any of the products featured here already? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I got the two latest in beauty boxes and the amazing selfridges box x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic products i really wish that we had boxes like this here! =]

    ReplyDelete